Data Management Plan Checklist
The Odum Institute Data Management Plan (DMP) Checklist may be used during the creation of individual DMPs to ensure regulatory compliance with National Science Foundation guidelines.
- Date-range of data collection
- Please provide a brief description of the focus of the research associated with the data being submitted
- Please provide information regarding any requirements regarding this data as stipulated by the funding or partner organization(s) listed above
- Please describe any institutional or research group guidelines regarding this data
- Please note any additional requirements associated with the data being submitted
General Data Management Plan information
- Date of DMP creation
- Aims and purpose of DMP
- Intended DMP audience
- Is there another/previous DMP associated with this data?
Legal Guidelines and Requirements
- Will the study collect any sensitive data?
- Will data scrubbing be required to remove any such sensitive data?
- Are there any copyright or licensing issues associated with the data being submitted?
Access, Sharing and Re-use of Data
- Are you aware of any reasons which might prohibit the sharing and re-use of the data being submitted?
- Are you required to make this data available?
- When will the data being submitted be made available?
- Will any restrictions or permission be required for accessing the data?
- Have findings been published based on this data?
- If not, will findings be published? Please provide the estimated date of publication
- Is there an agreement regarding the right of the original data collector, creator or principal investigator to first use of the data?
- Please provide details of any embargo periods associated with the data being submitted
Data Standards and Capture
- Please describe briefly how the associated data types were created or captured
- Which file formats were used?
- Are there any issues you are aware of regarding the effects or limitations of these formats regarding the data being submitted?
- Please describe what metadata has been created for the data being submitted
- How was the associated metadata created or captured?
- Which file formats were used for the associated metadata?
- Were specific standards applied during the creation of the metadata?
- If so, which metadata standards were used and why?
Storage, Preservation and Management of Data
- Please provide the specific storage volume of the data being submitted
- Where is the data currently being physically stored?
- What media/format(s) is being use for data storage?
- Who is currently responsible for storage and maintenance of the data?
- Is a long-term strategy currently being implemented for the maintenance, curation and archiving of the data?
- How regularly is the data backed up at present?
- Who is currently responsible for backing up data?
- Please describe access arrangements and data security management
- Please detail any mechanisms in place for enforcement of permissions, restrictions and/or embargoes
- Please describe any policy currently in place to ensure the proper disposal or transfer of any sensitive data
- Please describe any other security issues
Review and Long-Term Management of Data
- Are there any specific financial considerations which might impact the long-term management of the data?
- How will this DMP be reviewed in order to ensure and demonstrate compliance?
- At what interval will this DMP be reviewed?
- Who will be responsible for the review(s)?
- For any attached documentation related to the data or the associated research